2020 Physician Leadership Program
The 2020 Physician Leadership Program will bring a class of 15-20 corneal surgeons who have been identified as emerging leaders and are interested in working with their local eye banks, learning more about eye banking, and becoming involved with the EBAA.
Nominations are being accepted; the deadline to nominate a candidate is October 18.
- Dates: March 7-8, 2020
- Location: San Antonio, TX
- Hotel: Hotel Valencia
The Physician Leadership Program, established in 2011, was developed to:
- Identify individuals with characteristics needed to become future leaders in eye banking.
- Initiate potential leaders, building the necessary skills and confidence to become active in the eye banking community
- Promote individual professional growth and leadership development
- Encourage innovation and foster collaboration between corneal surgeons and the eye banking community.
Past Physician Leadership Program Participants have done the following:
- Serve as Medical Directors and Associate Medical Directors of their local eye banks
- Serve on the EBAA Boards and Committees including the Board of Directors, the Medical Advisory Board, the Accreditation Board, the Certification Board, the Research Committee, and the Scientific Programs Committee.
- Deliver presentations at the EBAA Annual Meeting, the Cornea and Eye Banking Forum, and various EBAA webinars
- Received funding for research through EBAA Research Grants
- Represented EBAA at AAO events and programs
Criteria and Guidelines
- Attendees must be sponsored by an Eye Bank CEO/Executive Director; this support should be indicated through a letter of support attached to the application.
- Applicant must be less than 10 years out from Cornea Fellowship, or be serving as a new Medical Director or Associate Medical Director for an eye bank.
- Nominee receive a complimentary Paton Society membership for two years and must agree to serve on an EBAA committee for a two-year term.
- Application must be complete to be considered.
- Eye banks may nominate more than one physician candidate.
- EBAA will pay the participant’s cost for food, lodging and materials. Eye banks are asked to cover travel to and from the meeting.
- Estimated class size is 15-20 participants.
- Applications must be received by Friday, October 18.
- The selection committee will review applications and will make selections. In addition to evaluating an applicant’s overall qualifications, consideration will also be given to sponsoring eye bank’s size, structure, geographic location and other factors, in order to attract a diverse pool of participants.
- Applicants will be notified by November 22.