- June 2017 – Candidates for Board Service All open positions will be contested as usual. Sitting Board members and candidates will be notified in advance that, if the proposed governance changes are adopted by the House of Delegates, their terms will expire in June 2018.
- June 2017 – House of Delegates The House will vote on the bylaws amendments needed to implement the governance proposals. Amendments will be organized into approximately five groups that share related themes; these will follow the structure of the white papers used to present the concepts to the members.
- September 2017 EBAA will host a training and orientation session for all members of the 2017-2018 Board of Directors. Content will focus on the practical implications of Board members’ fiduciary responsibilities, maintaining a strategic orientation and conducting effective Board discussions. The Board’s Governing Mission and Board position descriptions will be reviewed and ratified, and the desired attributes of Board members will be discussed and approved.
- Winter 2017 Desired Board attributes and Board position descriptions will be distributed to all EBAA members.
- March 2018 A call for nominations will be issued to all members. Concurrently, the Executive Committee will consult with the full Board to identify specific individuals who possess the desired attributes; these individuals will be invited to consider Board service.
- May 2018 The Executive Committee will meet to review all nominated candidates. The committee will consider candidates’ attributes and characteristics (eye bank size, role within eye bank, experience, etc.) to place similar candidates on the ballot together; this is intended to facilitate diversity among elected Board members.
- June 2018 – House of Delegates The House of Delegates, chaired by EBAA Chair Donna Drury, will convene for discussion of strategic issues. Any resolutions will be approved by consensus or by one vote per bank. The Chair and Chair-Elect will ascend to Immediate Past Chair and Chair respectively; all other Board members will be elected using the new vote allocation formula.
- June 2018 – Board of Directors All Board officers and the Speaker of the House will be elected to two-year terms. Three of the six At-Large positions will be randomly assigned one-year terms to permit staggered elections in future years.
- August/September 2018 The Board will hold its annual orientation and training meeting; the agenda will be determined by the association’s needs.
- The terms of all 2017 – 2018 Board members will expire in 2018, regardless of the anticipated length of their term when they were elected.
- All EBAA members will understand the desired attributes of Board members well before nominations are sought. They may choose to run, or to nominate others, with those attributes in mind.
- Some positions that do not exist under EBAA’s current structure (Speaker of the House, Governance Committee, etc.) will be filled by their current equivalents during the 2017 – 2018 Board year only.
- All elements of the governance transformation will be implemented by the close of the 2018 Annual Meeting.
- Desired Board attributes and Board position descriptions will be distributed to all EBAA members.