The Mary Jane O’Neill (MJO) Fellowship in International Eye Banking was established in 2001 to provide medical or technical personnel from eye banks outside of the USA and Canada with the skills necessary to develop, operate, and maintain successful eye banks within their own countries, reducing blindness due to corneal disease or injury.
2018 FELLOWSHIP INFORMATION:
The 2018 Mary Jane O’Neill Fellowship will bring individuals to the United States for a 2 week period during June 2018 to attend the EBAA Annual Meeting and work with a host EBAA member eye bank. Once a Fellow is selected, the EBAA will work with the host eye bank and the Fellow to determine the actual dates of the program.
EBAA and The Eye-Bank for Sight Restoration in New York City established this fellowship to honor Mary Jane O’Neill, The Eye-Bank’s Executive Director from 1980 to 2000. During her long history in eye banking, Ms. O’Neill was a forward thinking visionary and championed international outreach, devoting significant efforts to establish and improve eye-banking services worldwide.
CRITERIA TO APPLY:
Candidates must meet the criteria below.
- Must be a citizen of a country outside of the USA and Canada.
- Must be employed by or affiliated with an eye bank, which is operationally active (i.e. currently approves and distributes corneas for transplantation).
- Eligible candidates for this fellowship can include:
- Managers, executive directors, or experienced technicians/supervisors employed full-time by an eye bank
- Medical directors of an eye bank (full time, part time, or consultant).
- Speak, read, and write English fluently
- Have decision-making responsibility within the eye bank (i.e. ability to influence change)
- Basic eye bank operations experience (cornea recovery, processing, evaluation, distribution)
- Demonstrate personal commitment to continue their involvement / role in their local eye bank for at least five years upon completion of the fellowship.
To be considered for this Fellowship, candidates must complete the application and submit the following:
- Current Curriculum vitae
- Letter of support from your organization (your eye bank, university center, hospital, or medical society)
- Letter verifying that the applicant is representing an eye bank
- Two letters of recommendation
November 17, 2017
2017 MARY JANE O’NEILL FELLOW
Alvio Shiguematsu, MD, PhD,
Botucatu Eye Bank/Sao Paulo State University Hospital
Hosted by: Dakota Lions Sight & Health
Deadline has passed.