EBAA benefits from a large number of dedicated volunteers whose service on EBAA Committees helps advance the Association’s mission.
- Conduct site inspections of eye banks to ascertain an appropriate and current level of compliance with EBAA Medical Standards.
- Advise eye banks in corrective actions to meet these standards.
- Report in an advisory capacity to the Medical Advisory Board on accreditation issues which impact current standards.
- Submit accreditation policies which advance eye banking to the Board of Directors.
Constitution & Bylaws Committee
- Interact with the administration and legal counsel through the President/CEO.
- Ensure that the Bylaws serve the best interests of members of EBAA.
- Periodically review and revise the Code of Ethics and distribute to membership.
- Review membership applications and advise the Board of Directors on their compliance with EBAA requirements.
Continuing Education Committee
- Evaluate educational opportunities for proficiency in eye banking standards and practices.
- Set consistent standards to ensure the the rigor objectivity of continuing education units (CEUs).
Donor Development Committee
- Offer education programs in the area of hospital development.
- Report to the Annual Meeting Planning Group with programming ideas for EBAA Meetings.
- Administer examinations for technical certification.
- Develop items for examination appropriate to the expected knowledge and skill level of the applicants.
- Assist the President/CEO in the development and implementation of an EBAA budget.
- Recommend financial policies and strategies that reflect EBAA’s changing needs.
Global Outreach Committee
- Assist in the development of eye banks in other countries.
- Assist in building relationships between international organizations on behalf of EBAA.
Legislative & Regulatory Committee
- Review relevant federal legislative and regulatory issues and to develop recommendations, as appropriate, concerning legislative policy and its application to eye banking.
- Monitor state legislation to identify trends and develop recommendations on appropriate policies for adoption by member banks.
- Unite and direct members for participation in grassroots campaigns.
Medical Advisory Board (MAB)
- Establish medical standards to ensure safe and effective tissue for corneal recipients and caring and respectful care for donors and their families.
- Policy & Position Research Subcommittee
- Conduct detailed investigations of specific issues for the Medical Advisory Board’s consideration.
- Medical Review Sub-committee
- Review adverse events and document their occurrence; Monitor the efficacy of medical standards and their effectiveness regarding disease transmission.
- Monitor specific issues as directed by the Medical Advisory Board and develop outcome measures for performance and outcome improvement.
- Technical Procedures Manual Subcommittee
- Review the EBAA Procedures Manual and update as necessary.
Quality Assurance Committee
- Offer education programs in the area of Quality Assurance.
- Report to the Annual Meeting Planning Group with programming for the EBAA Meetings and webinars.
- Review and recommend research grant proposals for funding by EBAA.
- Encourage new investigation in eye banking.
- Develop peer-reviewed literature to advance principles of corneal transplantation and eye banking.
Scientific Programs Committee
- Develop, coordinate and conduct the EBAA Medical Directors Symposium and Scientific Symposium at the Annual Meeting.
- Assist with the development and expansion of educational programs and services which will attract and retain physician participation in EBAA.
- Review and select scientific papers for the EBAA Scientific Symposia.
- Develop scientific sessions on corneal transplants for presentations at other academic forums.
Statistical Report Committee
- Review the EBAA’s annual Statistical Report and ensure accuracy and relevance of information.
- Assist in the development of data collection surveys to assist EBAA on policy development.
Technician Education Committee
- Offer education programs for skill development and acquisition of technical knowledge and practice.
- Develop programs that advance and recognize the role of the technician in eye banking